Thursday, September 27, 2007

I am getting old

I am getting old. Apart from my outer appearance you can tell by my habits. They’ve been changing. A lot.

When I was younger I could read one book a day. Any book. Whether it was captivating or not did not really matter. It may have taken me a little longer to finish one that I thought wasn’t quite so interesting but it only took a day or two at the most. I could read anywhere as well. On a park bench, on the beach, in the hall of my university, in front of the television. It did not matter.

When I was watching television I would stick to one program. No switching between the channels, no absent-minded staring, no reading of the newspaper. I would concentrate on whatever it was I was watching.

I can no longer do that and see a bit of my mother’s behavior in myself. I can’t read a book in a day anymore. It takes me ages and books I don’t enjoy 100% are put down. Time is too precious to be wasted with crappy literature. I can’t concentrate on television anymore. Unless I find something really captivating that is. Then I am glued to the telly. Apart from that I eat, read, sleep or zap through the channels or I read your blogs. Which admittedly I do almost every night in front of the telly.

Anyone else have the urge to read the newspaper before the day is over? I can’t read it the next day. It is killing me. You know how some people read a stack of old newspapers after their holidays? I can’t do that. Too old, not interesting, not up to date. It is terrible. If I get a daily newspaper and I am really busy, I force myself to catch up with it on the same day or else I think this is a waste of money. It’s gone so far that I no longer have a subscription for a daily paper. I read the news online or watch them on the telly. I do however buy a weekly magazine or weekly newspaper that relays this week’s old news back to me. So I ask you now. How on earth is that different? Am I weird? Can’t read a day old newspaper but catch up with a week old news in a weekly newspaper? Someone please have me admitted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you shouldn't have done that. Now you've challenged me to give you something to chew on in regards to "aging" - not only because I am nearly a full flipping decade older than toi..


Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~Mark Twain, Following the Equator

Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
(( or in balducci's words - which of course are borrowed: people like us don't get old - we stay sharp or we get sloppy - but don't get old..))




(( and this one is really going to bake your noodle -->))
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were? ~Satchel Paige

Maggie Moo said...

I don't think you should read or watch things you don't want to. You're right, life is too short, time too precious.

I don't read the newspaper. Why? I hate the feeling of the paper.

misguidedmommy said...

no no no i dont ever read the newspaper. i've started to think that in this world a little ignorance is bliss! its really hard to have kids when you watch the news all day and wonder what kind of world you brought your children into.

kat said...

@ mags, but the feeling of the paper is what I love about it plus it makes a great layer in our cats litter box :).

@ misguided mommy, that would explain why we don't have kids. Seriously, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.