Tuesday, December 29, 2009

See ya 2009 - NOT!

2009 can suck it. What a year this has been. I am tempted to say it was an asshole. Do I have kind words for it? Not really. So let's take a look at what's been ticking me off on a grander scale.

2009 saw the introduction of a witholding tax and mass surveillance - a directive allowing the EU member states to retain internet and telecommunications data. Dun dun dun.

Barack Obama was inaugurated as the first African American and the 44th president of the US. The world has high expectations.

The swine flu swaps across Mexico and out into the world. In its neverending panic to grab the fattest headline, the media neglects unfortunately forgets to inform the public that more people die due to the "common"influenza A virus infection than the swine flu each year.

Shit goes down in Iran and several politicans make a fool of themselves. That wouldn't be anything new but the foolery reaches new levels of ridiculousness. Yes, I am looking to you Italy.

General elections take place in Germany and the Federal Republic of Germany celebrates it's 60th birthday. The festivities continue. It's been 20 years since the Fall of the Wall.

The world economy is down and the Treaty of Lisbon, signed by the Eurpean Union member states, finally came into force after the Irish were "subtly reminded to please vote 'yes' (or else) the second time around. Long live Democracy.

The UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen brought together the big'uns. AND? NOTHING came of it. We're all gonna die. Well we were all gonna die anyway but now we're taking the planet down with us.

And since we're talking about death. What was up with that this year? I haven't been collecting statistics. Is it just me or has death been especially unkind this year?

John Updike, Natasha Richardson, David Carradine, Walter Cronkite, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Frank McCourt, Les Paul, Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, Stephen Gately, Roy E. Disney, Al Martino, Brittany Murphy and Yves Rocher among others. So sad.

A good year? Certainly not. Even though I can't complain personally but that will be enough fodder for another blogpost.

I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. Good bye 2009, you old sucker. Bring on 2010.

3 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

YEAH. I hope 2010 is waaaaay better!

Brian o vretanos said...

I hope you had a good Christmas. I'm glad that you've so far survived the freezing conditions in Germany.

If looks count for anything, then 2010 certainly looks nicer than 2009.

Tara R. said...

2009 can kiss my arse too. Not a good year for me and mine that's for sure. I guess as bad as it was, the only way to go is up... I hope.