Monday, November 5, 2007

Greetings from Ireland

Now it's time for a quick update. We're still in Ireland and having a great time. We've had the chance to meet up with pretty much all of our friends that are here at the time. Since we got here Wednesday night we had a really good time with our friends. My bff Kati and her boyfriend took us in and we stayed up late having dinner and chatting. Thursday we all got to sleep in as the two of them took a day off. We went around Dublin and also got some shopping done before heading home and cooking a lovely dinner. Friday we went to our favorite city center restaurant "The Chili Club". It is a very small restaurant that only seats about 35 people and requires you to make reservations well in advance. To get in you have to knock on the door. It looks as though you are about to enter somebody's home. It is rather cozy and they serve authentic Thai food which is delicious. As a starter I had Tom Ka Gai a chicken coconut soup. As a main course I went for a Red curry with roast duck, pineapple and grapes. Even though I would have loved to try one of their delicious deserts I was stuffed.

Saturday we went down the coastal road to visit a friend who had bought a house about an hour outside Dublin. It was great to catch up with him and hear stories about the adventures of buying a house in Ireland. The same day we went to Portlaoise to see a couple that we loved to go out with. It just so happened that they had recently bought a house as well and they gave us a tour. Their stories regarding the buying of a house in Ireland as well as several run ins with the builders who cemented the toilet bowl to the floor and tried to flush the excess mortar down the very same toilet, subsequently blocking it. We spent the night catching up. We had a lovely breakfast on Sunday morning before having a walk through a new mall and getting lunch.

Sunday night we met our remaining friends at the lovely Barracuda restaurant at the seafront in Bray. The food was excellent, the atmosphere relaxing and the desert...well heavenly would be an understatement. I got "granny's chocolate mousse" and I devoured every spoonful...It wasn't overly sweet, rather chocolaty and the texture was perfect. The hubby had a strawberry blonde. Some icecream cake that was just as delicious as was the berry pannacotta the others ordered.

We didn't take any pictures as we were too busy catching up with everyone. This afternoon I will meet up with my good friend Elaine and my former housemate Chris. I am really looking forward to that.

6 comments:

Shawna said...

It sounds like you are having a lovely time in Ireland. A place still on my list to visit. I hope your taking lots of pictures, can't wait to see them.

Jen said...

Wow! Can I just say that your post just made me SUPER HUNGRY?! OMG I must go to lunch now.. I wonder if they will have Chocolate Mousse at the store? Probly not. : (

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a GREAT time. Enjoy it! For Pete's sake start taking some pictures...umm haircut picture....way overdue :)

Unknown said...

What???!! No pictures???!!!
Oh, I am so jealous, wish I was in Ireland!

House of Jules said...

I TOTALLY want to go to Ireland now. Badly.

Maggie Moo said...

(I know I'm late on comments, sorry!)

I'm glad you are having a great time! That restaurant sounds VERY cool and the food you described made my mouth water-literally. I think that if you ever get to the US you and I should dine together, because I think we would have a grand time, and would enjoy the same foods!