Monday, December 8, 2008

The Book Meme

+++INTRODUCTIONS+++
1. What’s your name?
Kat
2. Do you read a lot?
Pre-stressful job I did. Now I went from read a book in one day to read a book in one week or more..
3. What’s your favorite genre?
Non-fiction. No contemporary fiction. No non-fiction. I can’t decide
+++FANTASY AND SCI-FI+++
4. Do you prefer fantasy or science fiction?
Not a fan of either but if I have to chose between one or the other it’s going to be fantasy.
5. What’s your favorite fantasy book/series?
Lord of the Rings
6. Who’s your favorite fantasy author?
J.R.R. Tolkien.
7. What’s your favorite science fiction book/series?
I don’t read sci-fi. At all.
8. Favorite sci-fi author?
Given my answer to the previous question, I can’t even name one.
+++MYSTERY, HORROR, AND THRILLERS+++
9. Which do you prefer: a puzzling mystery, or a terrifying thriller?
A terrifying thriller
10. Do you have a favorite mystery novel?
Nope
11. A favorite horror novel?
I used to read a lot of Stephen King when I was a teenager, but haven’t really since then. My favorite book back then was The Shining.
+++ROMANCE+++
12. Do you read romance novels?
If this means chicklit yes, if it means penny novel material then no. Not into the whole big hunk, sexy helpless woman kind of stories.
13. How about gay romance novels?
I have yet to come across gay romance novels.
14. What’s your favorite?
P.S. I love you
+++CHILDREN’S AND YA+++
15. What’s your favorite children’s book?
The Cat in the Hat.
16. Is it the same book that was your favorite when you were a kid?
Nope, I don’t think that was even available in East Germany.
17. What’s your favorite YA book?
The Wave
18. Did you actually read it as a YA?
Sure did
19. In general, do you prefer children’s books over grown-up books?
No, I prefer grown-up books.
+++CLASSICS AND GENERAL FICTION+++
20. What’s your favorite classic novel?

Breakfast at Tiffany‘s
21. What about general fiction?
The Swarm. A Novel of the Deep
22. What classic novel do you just not *get*?
Ulysses
23. Do you have a favorite play or drama?
Faust
24. What do you think of Shakespeare?
Only learned to appreciated the old man's stuff in my twenties
+++POETRY+++
25. Could you pick a favorite poem?
No, not a big fan of poems
26. What about a favorite poetry collection?
See previous answer.
27. Who’s your favorite poet?
I don’t know.
+++COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS+++
28. Do you read comics or graphic novels?
No, reading them is too stressful. I need structure :)
29. Do you have a favorite series?
No.
30. A favorite book?
No.
+++SHORT STORIES AND NOVELLAS+++
31. Do you prefer short stories (or short novels) over full-length novels?
Full length novels, definitely
32. What’s your favorite short story?
Royal Jelly by Roald Dahl
33. Favorite short story collection?
Kiss Kiss by Roald Dahl
34. Do you have a favorite short story author?
See #32 and #33.
+++NONFICTION+++
35. What kind of nonfiction do you usually read?
History, science, politics, life . Though not necessarily in this order.
36. Do you have a favorite nonfiction book?
Bright Lights, Big Ass
37. Read any interesting biographies?
Living History. Hillary Clinton38. History books?Dreams from my Father
39. Politics?
The Best Democracy Money can buy
40. Religious texts?
/
41. How about books on mythology, fairy-tales, or other cultural stories?
/
+++ELEMENTS OF FICTION+++
42. What’s the most important element of a novel? Plot? Characterization? Style? Themes? Happy ending?
Characterization is really important to me and a suspenseful plot. I am not really into a long drawn explanation of this flower or that taste/smell. Just give it to me straight.
43. What kind of plot interests you the most?
Suspense, not knowing what happens next. I am always delighted when I figure I know what‘s next and am then surprised when something totally different happens.
44. What kind of characters usually appeal to you?
People I could relate to in real life, with flaws and all.
45. What is your favorite book overall?
Buddenbrooks. The Decline of a Family
+++PASS IT ON+++
46. What’s the last book you read?

We Thought You Would Be Prettier
47. What are you reading now?
Not Buying It. My Year Without Shopping.
48. What are you going to read next?
Mr. S and The Secrets of Andorra’s Box
49. Is there a book you would recommend to everyone on your friends list?
The Kite Runner – beautiful book really or A Short History of Nearly Everything if you’re more into that science stuff.
50. Tag five people to fill out this meme:
I’m not going to tag anyone. If you want to do this meme grab it and let me know when you’ve done it. I will link it here and of course I am curious to see what your favorite books are.

1 comment:

Brian o vretanos said...

You have quite a wide range of things that you read - I'm much more limited, mainly to crime novels.

I did once read a novel, I think by Vikram Seth, written in some kind of verse, and where the narrator was gay. I'm not sure that counts as gay fiction or poetry. The verse might even have rhymed, which probably rules out it being the latter...