Tuesday, September 29, 2009

golden showers for my birthday

Yeah, I bet you didn’t think that huh? While I was trying to find the perfect expression/translation for “Sektfrühstück” to correctly update my Facebook status that morning, I came across something I did not expect.

Let me explain. Sekt is the German term for sparkling wine and Frühstück is German for breakfast. Now whenever my team has reason to celebrate, we have a little Sektfrühstück, which would be a “sparkling wine breakfast”. Only it seems that no such term exists in the English language. If it does, please let me know but I digress.

So I thought maybe if I just enter Sekt and have them show me the translation, maybe there will be some additional info on some term I might be able to use. So I checked the usual suspects.

There is a couple of translation machines I use like:

Leo.org, woerterbuch.info, translate.google.com and microsofttranslator.com

Each dictionary has it’s advantages. I can highlight or copy the text I want to translate with Microsoft translator and when I open a new tab in IE8 it is automatically pasted into the translator tool, showing me instant results. Or Leo, with a seemingly never ending supply of forum posts or woerterbuch, which also shows you synonyms and their translations…

So I looked up Sekt on Microsoft translator and was so appalled (well not really, I was laughing my head off but psssst) by the translation, that I hit the “report offensive translations” button immediately.

You see, Sekt doesn’t only mean sparkling wine, it can also mean…but see for yourself

Woerterbuch Sekt

So far so good – sparkling wine. Just what I was looking for.

Leo Sekt

Leo’s results don’t disappoint either.

Google Sekt

nor does Google Translator

So I looked for help at Bing translator and saw this:

Bing Sekt1

GOLDEN SHOWER? I knew there was something wrong with Sekt in the workplace.

Happy belated birthday lazy me!

And this is the birthday card I created for myself. Time for pun appreciation.

Wurst

P.S. I was a bit lazy in posting this. Sorry I had a hard time getting back from my bubbly induced coma.

2 comments:

Brian o vretanos said...

Happy Birthday!

I wonder if there are any bottles of German wine with badly translated labels marked "golden shower" in my local supermarket? I'll have a look next time I go shopping.

Your pun has to be the wurst yet.

Melisa Wells said...

HILARIOUS. Maybe those folks at Bing put a few of those types of things in their translator, hoping someone would find them?